View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Movie Review \"Shade\"

Its funny seeing this post now because only a few hours ago I saw the first trailer I had ever seen of Shade or even heard of the movie. (Here in Ireland things get released waaaay later than in the states etc.) Even from the trailer I could see that this was a movie that relyed on the hyping up of "gambling" and risk taking rather than a true portrayal of the world of poker. Its a pity that movies and other mainstream media products get so polished up they lose their charm and they rely on the dramatisation of their source of content, rather than trying to portray that sense of drama that is genuinely there, as is certainly true with the world of poker. Books like The Biggest Game In Town for example have really nice accounts of what the world of poker is actually like. I mean, I understand that any major production such as a big movie is engineered with the primary intent of making as much profit as possible, but the amount of "productions" that are engineered with that purpose cause their type to be one blurred mass rather than a source of outstanding and stimulating creations. And it is the creations that do, that have some kind of impact, and provoke a genuinely interested and excited reaction, and will remain so for a long time. Ah well, heres to life and its reflections [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]