View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: What would you do different?

I would suggest getting a case without a power supply, and buying a separate power supply. Most supplies that come with the case are not very good. The power supply is very important, and you don't want to ruin good hardware with a crappy supply that craps out. OCZ and Seasonic are excellent brands IMO. Get a good 400w+ supply.

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure that I don't need that nice of a motherboard, so if you have other suggestions, I'm listening.

[/ QUOTE ]

The motherboard is the heart of your system. It's worth it to invest in a decent board. Your choice is good. Another suggestion is the MSI K8N Neo4 SLI board. AMD compatible, and an excellent board with SLI support for a regular user. The DFI boards are better for overclocking, but MSI is the best IMO for regular users. It's also only $127, and the sound card on it is the best onboard sound.

Finally, I think a 3500 Venice is overkill for your purposes. Just get the Venice 3000 , which is much cheaper and the performance difference won't be huge. You can always learn to overclock it later if you need to (you won't). here

Your other selections look fine. Corsair ram is good, and Seagates are solid. Finally, you might have to invest in a new CPU fan and heatsink. I'm not sure how good the fans that come with the venice are. GOod luck.

Edit: If you want 2 monitor support, just buy a regular card (1 DVI, 1 analog video) or a dual DVI card (more expensive). No point in buying two cards unless you want to set up SLI support for games.