View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Wine advice needed.

If you can get wines shipped to your state, which is the case for many western states, then go to the following websites:

1. www.testarossa.com. All of the Chards are great. They have big fruit, not a lot of oak (thank god), and are quite wonderful. Get some Pinot Noir while you're there, too. Whites are about 30/btl, and red about 50/btl.

2. www.michaudvineyard.com/. Michael Michaud is the man for wines. I'm loving this stuff! His Chard is truly wonderful, but the real treat is a Marsanne (sp?). Nice floral nose, super dry (alcohol is 14.9%!), and one of the finest white wines I've ever had. Get some Sangiovese while you're getting it from him (ready to drink now), and his Syrah is great, too (age for a couple more years). He also makes a dynamite pinot. Their top-end whites run about 30/btl, and the reds about 40. This winery is so good, I may join the wine club, which says a lot. They only sell direct (though Michaud told me he's selling to Spago, and the Hollywood set is now catching onto this gem).

3. www.fogartywinery.com/. They make a nice Gewurztraminer, of all things. You can maybe find this in a decent wine shop. This wine had lots of fruit, but is really dry, too. The best Gewurtz made in California. I don't like their Chard, too much. Too oaky. The Gewurtz is only like 15 bucks a bottle, and is one of the best values in wine.

There you have it. Sucker's guide to some excellent white wines. You won't do any better anywhere, and if you live in a non-bastard state, then you don't have to leave your couch to get it shipped. I suggest you get some of all of them. When you're done, you can shoot the bottles with your new gun! Enjoy!