View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Is there a better way to play this?

While I agree with the other irie dude, I still think there's a better way to play this. I just had a very similar hand in a $100+9 on PP. It was the first hand of the second level, and I hadn't seen a flop yet.

An early position player who also hadn't seen a flop yet made a minimum raise preflop and I was in LP with AK. While I would almost always raise here, and raising is probably correct almost everytime, I thought for a few moments and came up with a better plan:

I didn't like the min. raise as the first noise in a tourney from an early position player. While he could be just screwing around, of course, he could also have a really big hand that wants action and he's afraid his quietness thus far might cause folds all around. So, If I raised and got re-popped preflop, I'd fold... which I don't want. Instead, I just called the min. raise... knowing that the blinds could give me trouble, but I like my hand and my position... so it's ok. The SB folded and the BB called. Flop came Jack high and the original raiser bet 1/4 of his stack (250) into a $70 pot. I folded and the BB went all-in. Results are irrelevant.

So here's my point and the rationale behind it: If you are particularly worried that you are getting trapped preflop with AK, then consider flat calling a small bet. This lets you get away cheap, and if the flop comes with an ace or king you can probably play the hand in such a way as to trap the trapper if he has an underpair or weaker ace. Since you haven't shown any strength pre-flop, you are in good position to trap post-flop if you get lucky.

I don't think this is fancy play syndrome... if you think a tight player is getting tricky, you might have to get trickier. Also, if you can get away from AK preflop when you are against a big pair, you will be saving money that almost nobody else is able to save.

Before anybody starts spouting about how weak/tight this play is, remember that this discussion only applies to a situation where you have very good reason to be afraid of a better hand than yours. This discussion in not relevant to the other 95% of the time you have AK in late position and are facing a raise in front of you.