Thread: Humble Pie
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Humble Pie

How long did it take you to get to a level where you were winning consistently?

If you asked me this at the beginning of November I would've answered "about one year." I had been winning consistently at Party 3/6 and had been regularly putting cash in my bank account. Unfortuantely, at that time, I needed to tap a good percentage of my online bankroll for unforeseen expenses. My mistake was in not dropping down immediately. I continued to play 3/6 on a very short roll and the inevitable downswing hit when I could least afford it. I took stock and refocused my efforts. I began to see that I had my biggest edge at the 2-table SNG's on 'Stars, and at the beginning of the year set-up a plan to start at the $10 level and work my bankroll back up.

To make a long story short, I'm not sure I'm a "consistent" winner yet, but my banrkroll is 3x what it was on 1/1/04, and I learn more about the game every day.

Still a work in progress.

I could use some advice on the short term plan.

Since SNG's are your focus, try to see if there are any holes in your game plan. Mine for 2-tables is simple:

1. Early on, don't bleed away chips out of position, but be alert to take advantage of opportunities when they arise. It's nice to double up early, but you don't have to.

2. As your table gets down to 7 players begin focusing on how you can make it to the final table with at least 15x BB. Have a good strategy to shift gears when you get 6, and then 5-handed.

3. After consolidation your tactics depend on your chip position and where the bigger and smaller stacks are sitting. Don't assume the bigger stacks are the better players. At this point, raw chip accumulation is not as crucial as in the middle stages of a multi.

4. Watch the other players as you get close to the bubble. I still try to force the action, but can get real conservative if I think others are impatient and likely to make mistakes.

5. Once you're in the money, attack, attack, attack. (unless some obvious stack-size differential screams otherwise)

A lot of this is probably pretty standard, but to my mind, one of the keys to success is the ability to accurately assess the dynamics of the table and shift gears accordingly.

And of course, you have to be willing to bust out without regret. Just not too often. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]