View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Peggy Noonan on the Democrats

Ironically, I was reading the Noonan article while Rick N. was posting it. I thought it was exceptional and accurate. I admit that many of her criticisms apply to Republicans as well; Republicans should take heed and watch that they don't merely become a coalition of single-issue, special-interest reactionaries. I criticize Republicans for being inconsistent, but they have a much more cohesive idea than Democrats right now. And look, in many respects Noonan is very left-wing. She wrote glowiningly of the Kennedys and was for extreme gun control even while saying there is a right to own guns. She is middle of the road and is solidly Republican now. Democrats should take heed. Moderate, blue-collar union type Democrats are gone. Well, they're not gone, but a lot vote Republican. No matter what the AlGores of the world say, the fact people like conservative media outlets and vote Republican is not some kind of brainwashing, but has a lot to do with what the liberals stand for and do. To be a successful party, the Democrats are going to have to figure out a new way to go about things.