View Single Post
Old 11-21-2001, 05:24 PM

Default Re: No-limit HE:Detecting a slight better pocket p

Marco,

If you raise with QQ preflop and get reraised, you might be in trouble. If you wanna be sure, reraise again and drop to a further reraise. Or see the flop "cheaply" and proceed from there. If no A or K flops, yet you still get a lot of heat, you are up against a higher pocket pair then yours.

In the situation you described, it is almost impossible to know where you are at, without reading your opponent like an open book. So you are going to lose some chips, as Mr. Peterson put it.

I have lost a lot of money with QQ or JJ, even KK on a ragged flop against a higher pocket pair, so I certainly do not play them flawlessly. In fact, they prove to be very difficult hands for me.

In Big bet holdem (NL or PL), QQ or JJ are essentially middle pairs, and you want to flop a set with them before you commit a lot of chips. In some situations they are worth a raise preflop, many times just limp and sometimes you have a clear fold. Even with QQ you will flop an overcard about half the time, so don`t get overly excited.

Stephan