View Single Post
Old 10-25-2001, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Quick Pre-flop ?s

Whoops! Duh. Sorry.

I started thinking about the game in terms of the usual structure I play, 2-3-5. You said that everyone had 80 to 100 times the big blind which converts to stacks of 400 to 500. Forgot to mention that I had converted the numbers when I responded.

Anyway, if the other players have come in for 10, and it's to you, I'd make it about $100 with $400 left behind me. Same with the KK hand. With the AA hand, you are pot stuck. With the KK hand, if you see an ace on the flop, you can get out without too much cost. Without an ace on the flop, you're committed. If you get played back at preflop, even better. You move in and sit back to see what happens.

As an aside, I think that preflop decisions in no limit are much more complex and difficult than in limit. The limit experts like David Sklanskly have stated that in order to get better, you should focus on later streets. Pre-flop is not very interesting. I think they are right, when discussing limit hold'em.

For example, in limit hold'em, you're almost never going to fold QQ preflop, from any position. There are some rare instances, but the situation that calls for a QQ preflop fold in limit is so rare as to not be worth mentioning.

In no limit, you better be folding QQ preflop fairly easily, with no regrets.

I think one of the best ways to illuminate the difference between limit and no limit preflop game is to look at AKo in early and late positions in a limit vs. no limit game. AKo in the blinds will probably be folded quite often, or go all-in often, based on all kinds of factors, especially stack size.

In limit, you raise pretty much every time, regardless of position, stacks, pot size, action, opponents, you name it.

natedogg