View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: the soft bigotry of low expectations

I disagree. I think there are many flaws within the system because it's inherently difficult or impossible to legislate away what people think. The bottom line is that many people in this country remain uncomfortable with or hostile towards black people. The aim of affirmative action is, in spite of the unspoken color lines that still exist in force, to create a dynamic black middle class that will challenge these barriers. Much like the explosive growth of the middle class under capitalism supposedly creates demand for democracy, the hope is that this growing black middle class will break down existing color lines and create demand for education, democratic process and representation in the black community.

Again, that's just the general theory, I'm not pointing out what I see as flaws in the concept or implementation. However, I think there are many other forms of 'affirmative action' for the advantaged, and people don't get up in arms to prevent these. It is logically unsound to demand that people abolish affirmative action without assailing the many institutions and practices that have championed mediocrity and nepotism for far longer and to a far greater degree.

NT