View Single Post
Old 08-28-2001, 08:02 AM

Default Re: 1st time in Pot Limit...the fish I was

Nobody else has posted a response so I will - just so long as you are aware that these are the thoughts of a fellow beginner not some world class pro.

I cannot fault either the first or the second hands. You cannot overbet the pre-flop with aces. Unless you get trips or a flush draw two aces will not hold up in a big pot (if someone will play back at you they usually have your aces beat). I am a begginer but have enough experiences (both in quantity and cost!) to know that unless you are Doyle Brunson you shouldn't slow play big pairs - just win before the flop.

The second hand is also fine. You protect yourself against the draw (you can't blame yourself for not putting someone on hidden trips). On the turn you are beat, you fold...played like a pro.

Third hand - oh well. "Don't throw good money after bad" is an important maxim at limit. I've learnt the hard way that its more important at big bet poker. You may have made a mistake calling on the turn but you didn't have to call an even bigger bet on the river. How calling $100 is the "worst call you ever made" I don't know - surely the $270 was worse?