View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Is there a better way to play this?

Aight, Irieguy...for a sec, I thought there was some real merit to your proposed play. However, upon further review, here is the problem:

I'll concede that, for whatever reason, you are correct in your suspicion that EP guy is trapping you. This clearly is next to impossible to read online at the $10-$30 sng level, but I imagine it's feasible at $100. What hands do you put him on? What does an EP player look down at and think, "Sweet...a nice big hand that I'm going to try to trap someone with and really increase my stack here?" AA and KK? -- certainly. QQ? -- gettin' sketchy here, but OK. JJ? -- gettin' really sketchy here, but again, keep it in. TT? - no way. AK? -- maybe, but also sketchy. AQ? -- no way.

So, if you're going to say your read is that you're getting trapped, you're going to have to give me that he can only have 1 of 5 hands...AA, KK, QQ, JJ, and AK, and even a couple of those are dubious. So, you trail everything he has except for AK.

Therefore, the real problem with your play is the negative implied odds it creates. You haven't built any pot pre-flop by just calling, so there's very little money to be won right now. Any flop that hits you will either be (a) super-scary for him and cause any decent player to shut down almost completely (like his having QQ or KK and an A flops), or (b) hit him as well and cause you to lose all your chips (like him having KK and the flop coming A-K-x).

Add to all this the fact that you not raising doesn't allow you to define his hand at all, and it prices both blinds in pretty well to call with a whole host of basically random hands. How about you catching an A-T-8 rainbow flop, that both the BB and EP check to you. You bet the pot, and the BB pops you while the EP folds. Now what do you do?