View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Three random NL questions from a limit player

1) How in the world do you dodge a slow play on-line? When the board pairs on the flop and it’s checked to you with, say, top pair, how do you get away from betting this when you’re playing against people you’ve never seen, and will probably never see again? I think this is a NL question in that a SP isn’t nearly so costly if someone flops trips against you.

Largely, you don't. The good news is that no one else ussually does either. The long term benefit from playing agressively outweighs the short term feeling of being a rube when you get slowplayed.

2) How do you bet draws in NL? Certain draws, like OE straights and 4-flushes are automatic in limit, but in NL you’re really trying to keep betters off your back it seems to me. My view (as a novice) is that you’re attempting to prevent a bet that takes you completely off your draw. I understand the implied odds potential in NL may make a call profitable, but when your out of position, you hope leading out will keep a huge bet off of you. Thoughts?

It's very situation dependent. A nut flush draw is much diffrent than a Qhig flush draw. I tend to play nut draws agressively and not nut draws passively.

3) Finally, what about raising from the BB in a tournament setting? What’s worthy of a raise in a situation where your fold equity goes way down? It’s easy to run into someone slow-playing when you have a lot of limpers, so I would think only super-premium hands are worth a raise. And, in a tournament setting (as an aside), even that seems like an iffy proposition.

Position becomes much more important in NL, I'd tend to raise with only teir one hands out of the BB.