View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Calling two raises preflop with 4d5d profitable?

Hi,

In early position I hold A10o. I decide this is playable so I think about raising or not. I decide not to and limp in.
One guy raised (player A), another guy called (player B), and everyone else folds. I decide that since I limped in they might think I'm holding garbage, so I reraise. Both other players call. I feel I'm overbetting, but I want some initiative on the Flop if I catch an overpair, or perferably have a nut straight draw.
This is a no limit game with BB of 50 and I'm short stacked (600 chips) because I haven't won a hand yet in this 20 seat sit and go. I was just randomly moved to this table so I don't know the players and they don't know me.

Anyway, Player B won cause he caught a straight on the turn.

On the flop, Ad 2d 6h, I catch an ace and bet half the pot. So dude has an inside straight draw, and a flush draw. I should have bet the whole pot. He had from his perspective about a 45% chance of getting a winning hand (unless I don't hold the same suit) and if the other guy folds, he has no implied odds worth the call since I have all my chips in the pot already and there aren't very many relative to the call.

As it turned out player A called all the way to the river too even after $500 bets from player B. He must have been holding AK or AA or something good.

I just took a chance on that hand and didn't think about a 45suited being there.

Is this common? It seems like it would be a profitable play if you can execute it right and get paid off if you hit.

I play connectors too, but usually only in good position and when there are plenty of players in seeing the flop so I can increase my payoff when I hit. I don't go in bad position or short handed unless it's super cheap.

Lesson learned!! Just let me know if this is good strategy. It looks like it is to me.