View Single Post
Old 07-15-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Successful SnG players:Are you usually short stacked when in the $?

[ QUOTE ]
I am usually one of the lowest stacks when we get to 5-6 handed, that is because I hardly ever gamble in the first 2 rounds and rarely in the third. I then totally switch gears when we get to the $100 BB and I see on PT that is where I win most of my money. That is when people are scared to call 250 as it will criple them, thus it is also when I start raising [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Its pretty basic tourney strategy, simmilar to people on the bubble in a big tourney. I only play NL, this might not work as well at limit

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually as I was reading the initial post I related this to my limit SNG experience. I typically find myself watching the fireworks the first several orbits as people will go to war with marginal hands. Sure, I will sometimes catch cards and either build a stack or get sucked out. However, I usually will enter the final 5 as the 3 or 4th chip stack. Then as the blinds go up, it is easier to use your tight/aggressive style to steal blinds etc. I find then I am able to either build a large stack in these latter rounds so that I have a big advantage heads up or end up going out in 3/4. I don't take second a whole lot. It is sometimes frustrating as you are patient throughout the early rounds of the tourny and at times catch a big hand that gets beat by inferior starting cards. Overall though, I think this strategy gets the most money. As tight/aggressive play usually will.