View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 10:40 PM

Default Re: I lost 40 in about 3 1/2 months, here\'s how:

Most of this is good, sound advice. That said, there are a couple of things I wanted to address:

[ QUOTE ]

The second one was said by Alobar, who has given you nothing but good nutricional advice here: Calories in vs. Calories out. It's so simple yet people want to ignore it for more faddish advice like "No Carbs! Where else can you eat a pound of bacon and lose weight?" & "Don't eat at night, you gain more weight" & "Eat 6 small meals" & "Skip Dinner and only eat twice a day" and the list goes on and on. The simple fact is if you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight. Simple. Period. My wife who was in nursing school at the time gave me this grand piece of wisdom and I took it to heart and the truth is it works. 1000 calories at midnight will add no more weight than 1000 calories at noon. It is all numbers. So here is how I went about it (and I found the changes were not really all that drastic to my lifestyle).

[/ QUOTE ]

- "grazing", or eating 6 meals of about half the size of the 3 meals you'd normally eat isn't faddish advice. By getting food into the body more regularly, the body is less likely to store food as fat.

- When you eat does matter. 1000 calories at 9am is "less bad" than 1000 calories at 11pm jus tbefore you get into bed. This should be self-evident. If you eat 1000 calories and then proceed to have an active day (say, hiking, for example), you burn a lot of the food you ate for energy. If you eat 1000 calories and then lie down for 8 hours, the body burns substantially less for energy (duh), and what it doesn't burn it stores as fat for later.

Other then that, you've got some good stuff there.