View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Mat is doing a Good Job

[ QUOTE ]
I hear a lot of people complaining about trolls, spammers etc. They seem to think this forum is going unmoderated or undermoderated. This is not true.

If you are watching closely, Mat is killing the obvious spam (direct links to affiliates) while not strangling the discussion of sites.

He is taking care of truly offensive material. He has kept Ryan21's racism off the boards through his effective control. gabyyyy posted an offensive poll on William one day, it was deleted an hour later. Someone posted an offensive poll on ChristinaB, it was deleted an hour later. Obviously the timing depends on when he is online to do it.

On the other hand he doesn't overreact to every name calling incident, which would be awfully oppressive IMO. Nor did he ban the folks who created the deleted threads, which would have been going too far.

We have the ability to pass over threads that are obvious troll fests or spam. We can focus on what matters to us if we choose to (bonus alerts, site problems, etc.). We have to decide what we will and will not read. Mat should not be deciding for us.

I bet a lot of people who oppose the Patriot Act are the same people who are calling for Mat to impose his own Patriot Act type control over these forums.

Mat is doing it just right, controlling spam and truly wicked attacks, while allowing the mild attacks that are part of a free and open discussion board.

I say, Good Job Mat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, based on recent personal experience I have to respectfully disagree. I PMed Mat as well as 'Alerted Moderator' about two posts in another thread on this forum nearly twelve hours ago which call me an admitted con-artist. That is libel but it is still there for everyone reading this forum to see. IMO if Mat was doing a good job that post would be gone by now. I guess you consider attacks mild if they are aimed at someone else?