View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Why sharing moderation of this forum is a horrible idea.

[ QUOTE ]
[snip]
Who's next on your list of people to rid this forum of? Jews, Women, Blacks? Nice comeback, why not compare me to Hitler, because I'm against spamming in the content.

MS Sunshine

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that would envoke Godwin's Law.

FWIW, I totally agree with your position MS. I participate on several other forums that use participant/moderators and they generally work very well. On those forums, if a moderator gets out of line they can lose their moderation privledges. There is no freedom-of-speech issue as 2+2 is not a government agency as far as I know. I've actually suggested this very thing to Mat before but he was unreceptive. I personally don't think anything will change as long as it appears to the powers-that-be that their readership is growing. The problem with that is that 2+2 may may be growing just because the the current increase in popularity of poker. What happens when that growth eventually levels off and begins to fall and Mat and company begin to wonder how to get back their former loyal participants? All they'll be left with is Syntax and the multiple incarnations of various spammers and flame-baiters. Who is going to want to stick around to read their drivel?