View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: The old coin-flip debate

[ QUOTE ]
Still, The idea of calling equal stack ALL-IN raises on the bubble with equal stacks still seems like a horrible move to me. As I said in that original post, I wouldn't even do it if I knew myself to be slightly ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much is "slightly ahead"? That is the main problem here. I think that in this forum there is a big tendency to see everything in terms of aggression and folding equity (I do it many times myself). However, It seems that by not calling (all-ins, that is), consistently, when there's a good possibility you're around, say, 2:1 favorite, is giving the aggressor in that spot a very big advantage (I'm talking high blinds of course), and in these last stages of a tourney, that can be significantly -$EV for you.

Of course the gap still applies: you can raise with a much wider range of hands, but against certain strong opponents, especially in the higher buy-ins, big calls are a dangarous weapon too. The higher the blinds, the narrower the gap. Part of what you achieve (if you manage to survive) is tightening your opponents, which is also +$EV for you. I know many in this forum won't accept it, but your opponents might actually *fear* your calls.