View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Another SNG Theory Question

LB,

I think the problem with the question you're asking, which is very interesting in itself, is that it has a lot to do with other variables. For instance, we know that ROI and ITM change rather significantly between buy-in's. Generally, my opinion is that you'll get about the same ROI if you're playing against the same type of opposition, on the same buy-in, even if you change some of the elements (blinds, structure, etc.), as long as it doesn't become a complete crap-shoot (i.e, blinds at 1/2 your stack at the first round, and so on).

For instance:

[ QUOTE ]
3. Blinds increase every five hands (a bit odd I know)

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you don't play the turbos on Stars, but the blinds go up every five minutes. In the lower buy-ins ($15-$27), this is enough for about 8 hands, say (early rounds). But in the higher ones, where I usualy play ($60-$114), it is very common for a level to last 5 hands, like in your question, sometimes even less (3 hands for a level is not unusual), because people think a lot. But this changes dramatically when the game becomes short handed, then you can play much much more hands per level, if you play fast enough. However, I don't think it changes my ROI. Actually, my ROI at the turbo's is fairly higher than when I played the regular games on stars: but that has to do with my improvement and adjustment too, over the time.

So, I believe that a player that is able to adjust to different conditions (short stacks/deep stacks, etc), will always have a significant edge in the long-run.

With very short stacks, however, the long run is "longer", and there will be much more variance. It's hard to tell how exactly the ROI is affected by this.

Do I make sense here?