View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: England trip report

Nice post.

[ QUOTE ]
Smoking Kills."

That’s what it says in bold black letters on a white background, covering half of the front of every pack of cigarettes in England. Locally I learned that smokers think the warning has no effect on smokers, and that non-smokers think the warning is saving the state billions of pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are required to be on all cigarette packets in the European Union now. As a sometime smoker I would say they definitely do work. There are a range of slogans including "Smoke contains carcinogenic chemicals including benzene and hydrogen cyanide", "Smoking causes impotence" and my favourite, "Smoking causes a slow and paingul death." They haven't managed to get me to quit completelybut they have been responsible for many an unsmoked cigarette. f course you get sort of used to them after a while. They're talking about photos of diseased lungs next.

I don't know why non-smokers would think they're saving the state any money. I'm sure they discourage a practice whoch brings the treasury billions of pounds of tax revenue and makes them vastly vastly more than they spend on smoking related illness healthcare.