View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Re: It\'s hard to give credit where it\'s due at these limits

I had put him on a King - something like KQ or KJs. I was partially right, as he had KTo. Sometimes being partially right (and putting too much stock in it) is worse than being completely off.

I may be over-rationalizing my bad play here, but... I stuck with this hand because I had way too many times at this table dropped hands to aggressive multi-way raises, re-raises, etc, only to see something like a flopped middle pair take the showdown. This wasn't my typical play (good thing), but was a way-too-costly 'mix-it-up'.

This brings me to my overall question regarding these kinds of tables. It's not terribly uncommon to be at a table where multiple people raise, go all the way to the showdown, and something shitty like a flopped or turned middle pair or even a medium pocket pair (even winners as low as K-high!) wins a freaking showdown that was raised multiple times, several of which my hand would've won if I stayed in. I don't think it's too weak to throw away top pair to the kinds of raises I was seeing, but at what point do you have to start calling down? I've been getting pushed off a lot of hands, but I don't think I've been making weak-tight plays. I'll have to see if I can find a good HH to illustrate these hands.