View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Wow, I\'m impressed- not the reply that I expected

after my post- my apologies, guess I'm getting cranky in my old age.

Here is a more detailed reply to explain the "dumping down a hole" comment

was holding something like KTo. Something like that. Flop comes down K high with 2 clubs. I bet and am called. Turn is a blank so I bet again and am called. River gives us 3 clubs on the board. I completely miss that when it is checked to me and bet like the big gorilla that I am. Surprise, Surprise when it was check raised back to me. I said, "check raise me when you caught your flush huh?" and make the crying call to see A2s to take down the pot.

You wasted a bet here at low limit- you almost never see someone make a move here.

when I held KTs in MP. flop comes down AKx and I bet. No one raises. Turn is an A. Young guy in the 10 seat bets before me and I fold, thinking he may have been slowplaying the A. Everyone folds to him and he takes down the pot. He told me after the hand that he had a K.

Did you believe him?

a young jewish guy sits next to me.

what does his religion have to do with anything? Don't clutter your report with irrelevancies.

I knew I was beat until the turn brought a lovely King. Pink shirt bets again and I raise. Jewish guy 3 bets and pink shirt calls. I put the cap there since I have the nuts (there was no flush out there) and someone could have two pair so i have to make them pay. River was a blank and I bet. Jewish guy raises me and I figure he must have an ace so why should I pay more rake right? Wrong. I should have kept raising as long as he would raise back.

Why worry about a measly dollar in rake? Unless you are sure you are chopping, raise this until the cows come home.
Couple of callers and I check. Flop comes down QQ7 and I suddenly wake up and start betting. Couple of callers. Turn is a T. No flush. I bet again and I am only called by the 1 seat. River is a 9. I bet again and he calls. His magical cards? KJs. Yes he caught running cards to catch his straight.

This shouldn't be a huge surprise- you only get called here for the most part by people who beat you. You shouldn't be overly surprised to see J8 or 86 here either- this is $2/4.
You expect someone catching a straight to raise you with that board? Not very likely.

Another hand I remember was when I raised PF with 9's. The 7 seat called along with two others, i believe. Flop comes down A-A-x. I bet to test my hand and he raises. Someone calls him to the river and he shows down A4o.

THIS is why they play Acrap- besides, he had a straight draw preflop.

Just keep calling raises with those weak aces and I will have all of your chips

Weak Aces are the scourge of low-limit, I'm convinced. However, you can usually throw away Kings when an Ace flops, and you make a lot of money when you have a strong Ace. Adjust accordingly

I get A9s on the button and I raise and the 5 seat and the blinds just calls. Flop comes down J-9-x. 5 seat bets and I think for a minute or two and decide to call. I figure a 9 or an Ace and I'm golden. Turn was a beautiful 9 and the 5 seat must have sensed that I had one because he checked it. I bet and he calls. River is a king. He bets and I go into the tank. Q-T? K9? At this point, I only have 6 left so I decide to just go all in.

Bad decision, more wasted chips. At least 1/2 BB, maybe the whole 1 1/2 BB. J9 was a likely slowplay hand here as well

Give up more of those marginal hands earlier, when you can wait until you dominate to pound your chips, and your results will be better. Capish?