View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: College Books (rant)

Dude, if you're that bitter in your first year at grad school, then you'll never make it (assuming that you're going for a PhD). Everyone goes through trying times in grad school (that's what it's all about) but it's a rewarding experience that makes you stronger. If you are doing a PhD, it doesn't really matter what you get in your classes; just survive them and learn what you feel might be useful. You said so yourself; if you are generating top-notch research, people aren't gonna give half a rat's ass what you got in your first-year classes. Conversely, if you get worked up about doing boring classes, then how are you going to react to doing research when you've been working on the same problem for a year and there's nobody who can help you?

In fact, I think a lot of the same characteristics that make a good researcher make a top poker player. Most of these people deal well with adversity (no results, running bad) and realize that things will eventually be better (you'll crack that nut and get the answer, the cards will break even for you) and you can learn a lot about yourself doing both. However, if you get steamed off by some stupid classes, then I think that you should be wary of dropping everything and being a high-stakes poker player. Realize that I make this post as a graduate student (chemistry) who plays high-stakes poker to pay my expenses.