Thread: AJs
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2001, 06:46 PM

Default Re: AJs

"Nf criticized your turn raise and I think he makes a good point that the sb would know there is a good chance that you have an ace so he likely would not bet out unless he has a 6."

I don't understand this point. Firstly, I 3 bet the flop. That should tell the sb that it is unlikely that I have an Ace (unless it's AA). It is more likely that I have JJ,QQ,KK and the like i.e. the normal 3 betting hands on this type of flop. So, when the 4 comes down, anyone with an Ace and therefore a bicycle would be taking a chance by checking to me because I simply may not bet my overpair.

But even if the sb knew or suspected that I have an Ace, he surely must know that I don't have a 6 (while I can't be sure that he doesn't have a 6). So, if the sb had an Ace, he should bet and then 3 bet me if given the chance.

Now, I raised thinking that there is a good chance that the sb also only has an Ace (after all he coldcalled 2 bets on the flop) and I have a flush freeroll. Plus, there is one other player in there (the bb) whose money could be useful if I were to go on to hit the flush.

Anyway, the result was no good: the sb won with K6 offsuit. He called 3 bets on the flop ($20 cold) with that hand. The game was at the Holiday Inn and if I were to tell you who it was, you would not at all be surprised.

In any event, I think that the turn raise is debatable as are the flop 3 bet and perhaps, even the preflop raise.

Perhaps others will comment on those aspects.

...and yes, the HI games have somehow become even easier to beat than they were when I last played there regularly which was in the first 7 months of 2000...I didn't think that was possible.