Thread: World Champ?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2004, 08:51 AM

Default World Champ?

With the World Series of Poker approaching, there will be plenty of posts regarding bracelet winners and scrutiny of their victories. Mostly that of the $10K NL tournament which is obviously the one that all entrants want. Correct me if i am wrong but "is it official that the winner of this event is crowned WORLD CHAMPION ?". I havent seen in any archive that it is official but several posters of late regarding the 2002, 2003 winners have used the term.

The entrants are a mixed bag but any poker player with an earned reputation will be there to compete/play. You could assume then that the field will be elite.

I can only relate this to the recent Masters in Augusta. Phil Mc came through an elite field to post the major that all players want. He is having fun gloating at the moment but the event is not rated as "world champ" and i highly doubt he will ever declare himself as such.

Now the WPT have a structure in place that the champions of the individual events throughout the year get together and duke it out. Champion of Champions seems a fair description of the victor to me after an earned seat.

With the most interest of late being with MM & RV, i dont recall them declaring themselves as World Champs (anarchy on here if they did in most opinions), they just happened to be victorious in an "elimination event". With no rebuys, most players will feel hard done by on their elimination whether they be proffessional, amatuer, online earned or general rich folk. Declaring the winner world champion of 1 single event is debatable IMO. This has been in my head and this is a forum.