View Single Post
Old 09-29-2001, 10:07 PM

Default top pair on a 3 flush flop

20/40 Hold'em

I open for a 3 off the button with KQo (no hearts). The SB, who is an excellant player calls (though he is a little passive, so his smooth call is not a show of tremendous strength as it might be from some others). The BB, a total loose-aggressive fish, also calls. He could have a very wide range of hands.

The flop is Qh 7h 6h. SB checks, BB bets, and I raise, the SB folds, and the BB makes it 3 bets and I call. I have played with the BB for about 4 hours now, and I have seen him make two huge moves: in one, he check-raised on the turn with a paired flop against a preflop raiser (he didn't have trips) and I saw him one other time make it 3 bets on the flop after being raised without having anything close to what he was representing; on both of these instances, he followed through with his bluffs to the river.

The turn is a blank. I honestly don't remember the exact card, but it was irrelevant. The BB bets. At this point, I estimate (only an estimation because he may check the river) that I am getting 14:4 effective odds, or 3.5:1. I call.

The river is Ah. The BB is manifestly upset by that card. He checks and I check behind.

IMO, the preflop raise and flop raise were automatic. I would be interested to hear discussion of my play from that point onwards.

Thanks for comments.

-Dan