View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 05:54 PM

Default An overcard and a gutshot

This is a hypothetical hand, but it simulates a situation I've run into several times recently, and I'd be interested in others' thoughts on the matter.

A NLHE multi-table tourney, 350 starters, 250 left, blinds at 25/50, I am in EP. And let's say all involved players have somewhere around an average stack, 2000 or so.

I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I raise to 150, MP and Button call.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, MP bets 300, EP folds.

What do I do?

I have mostly folded in such situations, thinking I'm behind a pair, but I'm beginning to wonder if an overcard plus a gutshot is enough to draw with. It seems to me that the implied odds for the straight are good, if I hit it, and an A still gives me a shot at the best hand.

However, I fear that the Turn will cost me considerably more than 300, and if the A comes and it doesn't give me the best hand, I will lose a big pot.

So I am in a bit of a quandry here, and could use the benifit of second, third, and fourth opinions.

Thanks