View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Bad day, questionable decisions, sorry this is long

Hi All,

I am concerned about some of the long losing streaks I am having. I believe there are some issues and that the following hands illustrate this. All these are from Party Poker NL $50 Sit N Go's. These are all from today.

1st hand. 5 players left. I am on the button. Chips are T3651, T1365, T1483, T2190 and T1161 (me) The blinds are 50/100.
I have 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG + 1 (a tight player who has shown solid cards) raises to T400. He started with T1365. All fold to me. After some thought, I re-raise all in. An A falls on the river and I am done. His starters were A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
This is approximately the hand I put him on. I figured he would attack like this with A-J through A-K. I think he would have made a 3x BB with a premium PP (on evidence to support this) Regardless, my read was correct. Based on that, should I have folded? Was I too desperate to double?At best this is a coinflip.

Next one: 3 players left
I have T1495. Blinds are 200/400. Other stacks are T4210 and T3695.
I am in the BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
The button raises to T800. This player is very solid. I believe he is a professional...definitely tight aggressive. In fact, he is one of the players I am trying to emulate. Again, after some thought, I decide to re-raise all in. I believe he has Ax or Kx or better, with greater weight on Ax. Neither of us improve and he turns up A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I am gone.
My thinking on this is that the blinds are very high, and I am likely no worse than 60 - 40 underdog. Turn out I was a 63/37 underdog. I believe I made the correct decision here, but given the quality of the opposition should I have waited for a few more hands?

The next one I think was very poor. Just a bonehead play that a good player should probably not make. 4 players left. I have T1320 left and am in the SB. The blinds are 100/200. Two big stacks (T4815, T2875) fold to me. The BB has T690 left. The BB is a poor player who is quite lucky to sitll be around. It is hard to put him on a hand, but he is semi-tight / weak. I have 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and mini-raise to T400. Note this is nearly 1/3 of my stack. BB calls. The flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Bet out T200 and am immediately reraised to T490. Inexplicably, I call, not knowing what to put him on. It was like I was on autopilot. I did NOT think. He turns up KQ, and now I am very shortstacked. I go out a few hands later for 4th. place. Comments / flames welcome here.

Finally, this one really frustrated me because it just seems like a poor play. 7 players left. I have T915, blinds 15/30. I have only called one hand so far. I get K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I am in the CO. All fold to me. I raise to T60. The button calls, and the two blinds fold. The button has only played one hand, so is clearly tight. The flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
I bet out T200 into a pot with T145 in it. I am immediately re-raised to T400. I call. Turn comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I check the turn, and the button bets T85. I call. River comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, he bets T240 and I call again. He turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Another autopilot call that leaves me with just T190 and crippled.

So, problems of discipline (autopilot calls) and judgement are hampering my ability to ba as consistent a winner as I would like. This seems to happen after not finishing in the money a couple of times and only makes things worse.

Any specific / general advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for such a long post.

Pitcher