View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Best Hand on Flop w/Opponents 4 to a Flush

Once you've decided to play AJo in middle position, and you have two early position callers, you really need to make people pay to see the flop. AJo is not a hand that really wants to see a flop, and if it does, it wants to do so against 1 opponent.

I would have had trouble going all-in here not because of the flush draw possibility, but because there are 5 people in this pot and I now have to worry about AT, 44, TT (and these crazy party people might even play T4s in the BB against a min raise with 5 people in).

Would you have been as reluctant to go all-in against 1 opponent? 2?

Personally, I would raise this up to 4-5xBB to narrow the field or I would fold it pre-flop. AJo, as you found out, is a very tough hand to play in a 5-way pot. I don't have a big problem with the pot-sized bet. Maybe you could have gone to a slightly bigger (pot * 1.5?) bet to reduce the pot odds even further, but I don't have a big problem with your play on the flop. It's the preflop play that is your issue, in my opinion.

Disclaimer: The preceding advice was delivered by a relative poker newbie...feel free to disagree, flame, ignore, or (gulp) heed at your own risk.

CCC