View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 11:52 AM

Default NLHE Tourney - Analysis please

Home poker Tournament. Started with 25 players with T1500. Down to 12players on two tables, I have T2900. Blinds 150/300 at this point.

I'm dealt 88 in the small blind. Big stack (T8000) limps near the front,then folded to me. I raise to T800, big blind folds, and limper calls.

Flop Ks 8c 3h, giving me middle set. There's now T1900 in the pot, shouldI move in here or check? I see the following scenarios:

1)I move in, probably just picking up the pot but maybe doubling up if theopponent calls with AK or a even just a big pair.

2)I check and then check-raise all in if opponent bets. If it is checkedthrough then i reevaluate on the turn.

In any event, i decided to check and it checked through.

Turn is the 9s. I check again, knowing that the big stack will definitelybet now. He bets T1000, and I move in for another T1100. He turns over pocket 9's, giving him a better set, and the river doesn't help me.

I'm not particularly concerend about the particular outcome here, i was just wondering if i made a crucial tournament mistake by not taking the pot down on the flop? Was i justified in checking, seeing that i might increase my chances of doubling up with middle set if i slow-played?

thanks in advance
matt