View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Do I bet this turn?

This seems to be a recurring problem with me so I figured this was the place to address it. I've been lurking here for awhile but this is my first post of a hand. Any and all critisizm welcome.

Online 5/10

Open-raised by an LP player, actually CO+1. He has pretty decent raising standards but sees the river whenever he open raises, no matter what the subsequent action is so it's tough to determine if he's on a draw or calling with some kind of second pair. He doesn't semi-bluff from what I've seen so post-flop raises are usually the real deal.

Folded to me in the SB with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I reraise to try and remove the BB, who is a relative unknown to me, and get heads-up with LP who I read well. BB calls [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] and LP calls. Three of us see the flop.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 SB's)

Couldn't ask for much better unless it was a rainbow. I'm only behind KK which I don't fear because there was no pre-flop cap. I lead out and the BB pops it. Hmmm. He called my 3-bet pre-flop and raised my flop bet. I'm tentatively thinking AK? LP just calls. This means one of few things: (1) smaller pocket pair such as QQ, JJ, maybe even 99, (2) diamond draw, (3) outside chance he has QJ.

I reraise because I'm ahead and to charge draws that may be there. Both call. 3 to the turn.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) (18 SB's/9 BB's)

Well that is just about the worst card for me if someone was drawing. One side of my brain is saying: "Even though I may still be ahead I don't want to get raised by a flush or straight and pay off if I don't fill up on the river. Besides I read somewhere I should check hands with outs, bet hands without them." But the other half of my brain is saying, "Don't be a Sally. Bet. Don't assume you're behind until someone tells you different. And hey, if you do get raised, you have outs. If the draws didn't get there yet you don't want to give them a free card to hit another diamond, a Q or a J. Any of those cards could be devastating." I...check [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]? Weak or smart?

Did I listen to the correct half? I face this situation often enough that I want to play it right.

BB and LP check it through. Now I'm pissed that I didn't bet.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) (still 9 BB's)

Well, that river made a straight if you held an 8 but I don't see that being out there. I bet. BB calls. LP folds.

How'd I do? Feel free to comment on anything.