Thread: Ho Hum
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2003, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Ho Hum

Coilean wrote:[ QUOTE ]
Three guys limp to me on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in a decent 15-30 game, so naturally I raise, and everyone with a hand calls me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why raise? You generally need at least AT suited in this spot OR the cutoff seat with this hand and lineup (in order to buy the button lacking a button action tell) OR fewer opponnets (one weak or no limpers is ideal) OR two additional opponents (to build a big pot for the times you flop a flush draw, trip eights, or top two pair). Most of the time only one blind calls and you end up paying a double bet with a sub par high card strength hand and four opponents. I don't like to put myself in such a spot.

[ QUOTE ]
J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The loose passive SB bets (which means a J or better), 3 guys call, I raise, and everyone calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps because he is loose PASSIVE you hope he won't reraise and they all give you a free card on the turn (which you should usually take) this is a good raise. Unfortunately, with five callers you can easily hit something (other than a flush draw) and lose to a straight or another backdoor flush on the river. I take one off cheaply here (had the pot been this big BTF which it wouldn't have had I played it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). Another problem is that if you get reraised from a spot that builds a pot you won't know if you are up against a big draw or big hand and this can create a dilemma later.

[ QUOTE ]
7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Everyone checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now it's close between betting and checking and I prefer a bet. If you bet and get three or more calls (indicating you aren't against two pair, a straight, or a set) you are making money on your flush draw in combination with making trips or aces up. If you get fewer calls from better hands you don't lose much given your outs. The additional value of betting is on occasion setting up a river play where you get a better hand to fold (maybe 99) when you don't improve on the river but bet. That is huge.

[ QUOTE ]
8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Checks to an EP player (who plays loose passive generally, but throws in the occassional move) who bets, only myself and the SB call. Just another day at the office, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I like the call luring overcalls by the initial checkers (I count about three). A raise doesn't drive out a better hand and gets only one call from the original raiser when he is worse.

Coilean, if this forum had a "Watch List" I'd put you on it but I'm a bit perplexed by your play here.

Regards,

Rick