View Single Post
Old 10-31-2001, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Folding 99 pre-flop for a raise

But pokerguy, if you read Feeney's essay, he makes a point about folding AQ against an early raiser because an early raiser will have a Category I, II, or III type hand (HPFAP categories). He states that AQ is only superior to 27% of these hands. As an aside, given that you have AQ, it is superior to 38% of these hands.

But John goes on to say that: "This does not mean that AQ is never playable against a raise. Sometimes it is. Among other factors which bear on your decision are your position and that of your opponent, his likelihood of being on a steal or semi-steal, his raising standards, and your opponent's skill level."

I agree that AQ is a fold against some players. But not against a player who will occasionally raise with a suited connector especially in early position. You have position over your opponent and may have him badly dominated if he is raising on QJ suited, JT suited, T9 suited, or worse. In the "Hand To Talk About", Mason had 98 suited. No way am I dumping AQ against someone who open-raises even a small percentage of the time when he may be holding a suited connector.

I have also talked to a number of good players here in Vegas and California as well as some other poker writers and they take issue with the "AQ Test".