View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 12:09 AM

Default Re: why i do it

I don't think you need to justify this kind of play, or in any way explain it. I'm convinced you're a long term winner in the game, and I'm sure you've found a style that works for you.

What's important-- at least from my perspective--is that this style of play, while effective, just isn't very interesting; or, to be more specific, isn't critical to a solid understanding of what it takes to play winning poker. Why? Because in the long run I'm convinced the net effect of playing this style is that you add marginally to your profits, perhaps, but add a ton to your variance. In a way, poker reminds me of Hinduism-- There are a thousand paths to nirvana. Beating the game, IMO, isn't rocket science; all you have to do is play slightly better (on average) starting hands then your opponents, have a halfway decent post flop game, and you almost can't help but win.

If the winners on these boards have two things in common, these are it. Which means the rest of it-- and by this I mean the nuts and bolts of our general strategies-- is really white noise. Not that I in any way disapprove of your post, since I always enjoy your analysis and commentary. I just wanted to make a general point about what is and isn't important about poker, since it's not uncommon for the more inexperienced players on these boards to forget to look for the forest through the trees.