View Single Post
Old 09-29-2001, 03:00 PM

Default Re: 4/8 Hand: Semi-Bluff & Toal Bluff

I think you should fold preflop with jack-ten suited rather than call three bets cold. Agreed that the straddler could have anything and a reraiser may have just a decent hand and be trying to isolate the straddler and the caller. The problem is that you have a speculative drawing hand that requires a cheap entry fee to take a flop in order to be profitable. It may even get raised again. Regardless of what your opponents may or may not have, your hand is simply not worth paying three bets to take a flop.

I don't like your flop bet at all. Despite the checking, I think having five opponents is too many to be betting just a gutshot. I think you should check and be happy to take a free card. A bet is unlikely to win the pot with this large a field and a pot this big. You could easily get raised and find yourself paying multiple bets to take a card off.

On the turn, given that no one raised your flop bet, you might as well follow through with a bet since you can represent trips and might win the pot outright.

At the river, as you state, since you cannot survive a showdown you might as well bet having only one opponent.