View Single Post
Old 09-28-2001, 11:59 PM

Default 4/8 Hand: Semi-Bluff & Toal Bluff

I was playing 4/8 Hold'em at the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas today and tried to win a big pot with a semi-bluff on the flop and turn and a total bluff on the river. My table image is respectably tight with those who are paying attention.

The pot starts getting big immediately because we've got a live straddle to the right of the big blind. An MP calls and the player to my immediate right raises. I've got respect for this player's raises but he has raised pre-flop and then check/folded on the flop more than once when he missed.

I've got JhTh. I think about re-raising to put as much pressure on the blinds and straddler to fold but know that if I'm re-raised, I'm way behind. I decide to call.

The button, big blind, straddler, and MP all call as well. 6 players see the flop and there are 6 big bets in the pot (without calculating the rake)

The flop is Qh 8c 4d

I've got a gut-shot straight draw and a back-door flush draw (Royal Flush!)

4 players check the flop to me, including the pre-flop raiser. I had already decided to call any bets with this large pot so when it gets checked to me, I bet myself. If the button has a Queen, I'm sure he'll raise and I'll know where I stand with him. It's hard to believe anybody else checked top pair.

The button calls, the BB folds, the straddler, MP, and player to my right all call as well. The pot has 8 1/2 big bets.

The turn is Qh 8c 4d Qc

When I see the Qc, I've got a tough call if anybody bets into me but maybe I can try to steal the pot after representing Queens on the flop and I still have a few outs if nobody else has a Queen.

It's checked to me and I bet. The button folds, the straddler calls, the MP folds, and the player to my right folds. I'm heads-up against the straddler. The pot has 10 1/2 big bets.

The river is Qh 8c 4d Qc 6h

The straddler checks and I've decided that I've got no hope of winning in a showdown so I bet. The straddler reluctantly calls. I turned over my JhTh and say "I've got nothing". The straddler turns over an 8 (I didn't see the other card. I was a bit dissapointed he called) and he wins the pot with Qs & 8s.

So, were any of my bets correct or was I way out of line to be pushing this hard? The flop bet seemed right since I had position and could possibly get a free card if I chose to take it. The turn bet seemed like a great opportunity to steal a pot which my cards couldn't win. The river bet was pure desperation in a hope that my last remaining opponent was on either a straight draw or club-flush draw.