View Single Post
Old 09-03-2001, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Pot Commitment (long)

TR,

If the hand gets capped preflop, then opponents are getting about 24:1 for a call on the flop. That makes drawing at any underpair as well as any backdoor draw correct. By making the pot this huge, then my opponents will be correct to call with just about any legitimate holding.

Pretend for a moment that the flop doesn't come down KKT. Rather... say I do 3-bet and it gets capped. I'm looking at a flop of AJ8 two-tone. Now I'm getting 24:1 to call a flop bet in which I know that I'm behind against 8 opponents. I might still be behind even if I catch my K on the turn. I'm "committed" because of the odds that the pot is giving me to chase.

By keeping preflop at 2 bets... I make it easier to get away from a hand like KK if the flop does come AJ8. That's my point. I find it's a very rare person indeed who will put 4 bets in preflop and fold on the flop when it comes unfavorably, especially in LL.

Here are 3 more considerations that I forgot to post in the previous one:

1) KK against 8 opponents more than likely has to improve to win. Either by making the high end/nut straight, a flush, or at least a set... KK must improve.

2) The jackpot... when the A falls on the turn, the pot in the middle of the table takes on secondary importance to me. With such a board and the action, I'm thinking more about the $50k rather than the $300+ in the middle. I've seen people do stupid things and throw away hands that would have made a jackpot situation.

3) All other flops besides those containing KK as part of them are "dangerous". All the draws, backdoor or otherwise, and other strong hands will continue to the river because they are getting odds.

Mike