View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: QJo, top pair, wait for turn to raise?

So, here's why I thought the hand was interesting. It's very likely that the turn bet will be coming from my left because BB is betting until he's raised, and even then he still likes to bet. If SB hit any of the flop he'll play, but he's a "fit or fold" type, so he folds most flops, and it's most likely that he missed.

Since a raise isn't folding anybody out that wouldn't be folding anyway, a raise on the flop is for value. But the question is, is there more value in raising the turn? This board is as drawless as they come, and I'm likely way ahead. I would have heard from AQ (and maybe KQ) preflop, and two pair on the flop would have raised the BB or 3-bet me. So I'm only behind to a slowplaying set, and those behind me have at most five outs.

So with BB firing again at the turn, I think I can trap either one or both of the MP players with a turn bet, which I think gives me more value than raising the flop. If I raise the flop, I think the MP players won't pay on the turn.

On the end, I plan to bet any non overcard, and to be a little worried if the board pairs the 8 (I figure there are a few middle pairs out there). I did end up checking behind, and mhwg.

In my experience this kind of situation happens a lot during a session, and it seems to me there are lots of bets worth of value in playing them consistently well.