View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Step up to $2/$4?

Well as someone who has made the jump to 2/4 unsuccessfully before making it successfully full-time, make sure you DO NOT make the move unless you are within your comfort zone.

Everyone is right when they say that there is not much of a difference between 1/2 and 2/4. If you can consistently beat 1/2, then you shouldn't run into a big problem beating the 2/4 game.

HOWEVER, your comfort zone is the most important thing. If you are not comfortable, you are inherently going to not play as optimal as you would normally.

I was beating the 1/2 game, so I moved up to 2/4 with a weak bankroll (150 BB). I assumed my skill would make up for it, and I would have no problems beating the game since I beat 1/2. I failed miserably as I found myself starting to play more timid poker after taking a series of rough sessions and my bankroll was not large enough to withstand the sessions. I dropped down to about 75 BB before I realized I wasn't financially ready to handle 2/4 COMFORTABLY. It took a little while before I was able to build up at 1/2 again to make the jump a second time (this time successfully), but I was better prepared.

Make sure you stay inside your comfort level. If that means staying at 1/2 for a while longer, than do that. Make the jump when you feel confident enough that you are ready. If you are having doubts, than you probably are not.