View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Is this not the most ridiculous parenting ever???

Other than getting social services involved (which can potentially do more harm than good), the best you can do is act as a positive role model in the kid's life. Offer him some stability and continuity through his child hood. Start "giving the mother a break" for a day or two -- sit down and read some books with him, play some kids games, take him to the zoo, but don't spoil him. Get other family members involed too.

I have been in related situations before, and you will really be suprised at how much change you will see from a little positive input. I think you will find that the child will enjoy being with you a lot, and look foward to it -- he will be getting more attention, having more fun, and getting a positive influence.

Other people I know had a tough childhood, and in some cases it was somebody outside the family unit - a teacher or distand uncle - who provided a small positive influence, and showed the child that there were other, better ways to live life. I'm not saying that spending the odd day with the child will make him turn out OK, but it definately improves his chances, and gives him a reference point to make informed decisions from when he grows up.