View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: sleeping problems anyone

Rooster,

Please accept my symptathies as I pity anybody recovering from an invasive sleep apnea surgery. At least your pain is being managed ;-) I had the uvulaplasty (spelling?) with tonsillectomy and biopsy. The doctor told me I'd want [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]to kill her because she wouldn't be able to treat the post-op pain aggressively as it 'inferfere with the gauge relfex.' I got Motrin and a maximum of one tylenol 3 every 6 hours! This was later upped to 1-2 tablets after the nurses complained I looked too pain-ridden. Anyways, at least your pain is being properly managed as this, in the words of the doctor, 'is one of the most vulgar and painful surgeries known.' It feels like you have a severe case of strep for 2 weeks and then it just feels like strep throat for 2 weeks.

Here's the bad news: other doctors told me after the surgery that the surgery was generally ineffective! I think they generally stick with CPAP. However, I can't stand CPAP and refused it no matter what (I can't sleep with it on). Also, I don't know if the surgery really was warranted in my case as the last neurologist said it looked more like narcolepsy. I do need another sleep study as I couldn't sleep on my most recent 2 trials.

Good news: The only noise I make at night is my wheezing and occasional heavy breathing from asthma. I no longer SNORE! Not snoring was worth the misery and cost of the surgery.

I hope your recovery proceeds well and you obtain some measure of relief from your sleep disorder. Good luck!

JeffreyREBT [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]