View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Let me know if my thoughts are correct on this session

I didn't review hand by hand.

Some of the hands Crunchy pointed out to you are obviously issues.

But in terms of the big losses, it appears you lost a decent amount after flopping a set and losing to a runner runner straight (4.5 BB) and another hand where you hit your OESD on the turn and the board paired on the river (7.5 BB). Since your entire loss was about 10 BB, you can look at these two suckouts as somewhat of a comfort, since without them alone, you'd have turned a profit. Suckouts are part of poker, but the times there are more than there "should" be, it is going to cost you, regardless of how well you play.

Suckouts happen. Usually they account for about 20-25% of your losses. If you're at the 20% threshold, you're usually going to find you're ahead. The closer you get to 25% (or above), the harder it is going to be for you to actually turn a profit. The rest of your losses is just either (1) you playing good hands and other people playing better ones or (2) you making mistakes. So focus on minimizing your mistakes the best you can and don't let the suckouts mess with your mind.

I started tracking my losses hand by hand after each session this way, and it has proved benificial in terms of recognizing mistakes and keeping my sanity.

Another tool you can use to evaluate your play is PokerGrader. Here is a link to the review of the session you posted:

Report Card

It is by no means perfect, but I do like to look at the "luck factor" it displays, since it will often assure you that a particular session was indeed full of bad luck river cards or on the other hand it will tell you when you were getting lucky too. The report card grade part I wouldn't worry too much about. It's interesting though ...

Also remember not to worry too much about individual sessions. They are psychologically benificial when you do have a winning one sometimes, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just one session.

Good luck.