View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 11:12 PM

Default Let\'s Really Do This Right

Lot's of good info here so far. Since we're roasting Billy so to speak I was think it might be useful and fun to discuss alternatives to other MSFT products. Like everyone uses MS Office but Open Office is an alternative and of course on Intel machines we've got Linux with a suitable Windowing environment available too. Not sure about the status of Linux drivers for all devices as I know Windows is well supported but I would guess Linux is too. For software developers there's open software languages like GNU. I'm seriously considering an Apple of some sort for my next machine. I don't really like being locked into one vendor, the security problems with Windows and the rest of the problems often brought up about version 1.0 software and such (I don't really want to trash MSFT for some personal reasons) make me want to get out of the Wintel mode. I've used Open Office some but not sure yet. I don't really use very many of the numerous features that Word offers because I'm too unmotivated to go through a learning curve. I use more Excel features but I haven't tapped into that many there either. Wouldn't mind having easy to use and learn tools that have some power and sophistication as well.