View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 AM

Default A few hands from a losing player

A LITTLE HISTORY:

I'm barely a winning player at 1/2, but I managed to bonus whore my way from a bankroll of $9 to just over $1,200 in the last 5 months...I have improved my game over the last few months and I've gone from being a losing player to a winning 1/2 player.

A MONTH AGO
I find myself somewhat bankrolled to take a stab at 2/4. I would prefer to stay at 1/2, but since most of my poker income comes from bonuses, 2/4 is a far more efficient method of clearing the monthly bonuses at the 4 cryptologic sites where the pot needs to be $20 in order for it to count as a raked hand.

PRESENT:
I've played 3,122 hands at 2/4 and am down ($421.74), moving at a clip of (-3.38)BB/100. I know that 3k hands is a small sample size, but I also know that my play has been horrendous at times and that a decent player would be turning a profit with the exact same 3,122 hands that I was dealt. I made $380 in bonuses over the course of these hands, so I have a little bit of room to work with and experiment at without going broke in the next 6k hands if these losing ways keep up.

I'm going to post a few hands, and if anyone thinks posting some PT screen shots of my statistics for this relatively small sample size is worth it, just tell me and I will do that as well.

Hand 1:
2/4 8-handed

UTG: folds
UTG+1: folds
MP1: folds
MP2: folds
HERO (CO) : raises $4 With A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Button: folds
Villain (SB) 26/11/(-6)/AF1.05 over 266 hands: calls $3
BB: folds

----- FLOP ----- [4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Villain: checks
Hero: bets $2
Villain: calls $2

----- TURN ----- [4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]][A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Villain: checks
Hero: bets $4
Villain : raises $8
Hero: raises $8
Villain: raises $8
Hero: calls $4
----- RIVER ----- [4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]][A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]][7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Villain: bets $4
Hero: calls $4

HAND 2: I ALWAYS DO THIS!! I know aggression is the way to go, but I'm obviously doing something wrong because I'm losing money doing it this way.

UTG: folds
UTG+1: folds
MP1: folds
Hero (MP2): raises $4 With A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain (MP3) 21/13/15/AF 2.2 over 67 hands: raises $6
CO: folds
Button: folds
SB: folds
BB: folds
Hero: calls $2
----- FLOP ----- [Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Hero: bets $2
Villain: calls $2
----- TURN ----- [Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]][6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Villain: calls $4
----- RIVER ----- [Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]][6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]][9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Villain: raises $8
Hero: ??

This is by far my most common way of losing lots of money. When I get to a flop heads up I just seem to dump money to people.

The second hand is especially a concern of mine...I don't know what to do in so many situations where I'm heads up and for a loss as to what the other guy has. Any advice would be helpful. I'll probably post more hands in the coming week because I'm tired of sucking at poker and keeping my head above water with bonuses.