Thread: I'm very sorry
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re:Mat Sklansky re:betgo

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. In fact they are welcomed. However, if someone presents them in a nasty fashion and then threatens to never post again if any one of their posts is ever deleted, I'm less likely to view the criticism as constructive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is in direct response to:
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't followed 2+2 as regularly as I might. When
did every thread in this forum become a
deletion/banning **** swinging contest? This site has
the most brain damaged interface I've ever seen;
instead of actually removing a deleted post they leave
up a placeholder that says "post deleted" with the
obvious result that every thread is hijacked by
pointless metadiscussion. And this fellow dynasty
pours fuel on the fire by boasting about all the
people he's banned.

Whoever's idea this was, you might want to reconsider
your implementation. Or is this post going to
disappear too? I have no idea, but my first deleted
post will be my last.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have edited the 4 letter vernacular above, in fact, this, and this alone, would seem adequate as a moderator "edit". The rest of the PP opinion is rather tame, and certainly below the threshold of deletion, if normalized 2+2 content across all forums is the standard. Additionally, I agree w/ PPs criticism.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another thing about last night's deletion. I deleted the thread before I looked at the person posting. I didn't realize until after that it was a "celebrity"

When I did, that's when I made the post linked to above.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you deleted the post because of **** ??? Again, a simple edit would have sufficed.

Did PP go out on a limb, with "first post deleted will be my last" ? ...... probably...... Was it likely someone at 2+2 saw this as an opportunity to provoke PP in a knee-jerk reaction to having the forum, and by extension, its moderators criticized ? ...... seems almost certain ......

As you may have noticed, I am not a frequent poster. I am a cross-forum daily reader, and an avid fan of 2+2. I have also had occasion to play w/ PP (seated to his right at '04 WPF for an hour or so), and have found him personable, engaging, and intelligent. I have read many of his posts, and, generally speaking, find them insightful and provocative.

It is an unfortunate decision which has been rendered. 2+2 is a source of information, theoretically. When a quality poster is banned as a direct result of a personal affront, real or imagined, it is time to re-examine the protocol upon which such a decision was based. In short, 2+2 blew the call on this one.

Finally, holding one set of posters to a higher standard than another is feeble. Celebrities, professionals, and other recognizable entities should have an intrinsic desire to portray themselves in a favorable light. Good will is derived through public observation, and judgment. However, should a celebrity "lack" this internal gyroscope, 2+2 should not be an arbiter of discriminatory stature; one set of rules for all participants is sufficient.

Are you really going to push PP underground ? Over a perceived slight ? If so, in my opinion you have done a disservice to the 2+2 community, as a whole.

Respectfully,

mondo