View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Tips on writing a good CV/resume

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the schools I am applying to prefer/require that I send them a copy of my resume. The schools will already have my basic information, and my post highschool academic records. What would be good info to include? When writing about my work experience, what should I emphasize?

I am not sure how to explain what I have done since graduating university. My initial intention was to take 1 year off in which to work, save up, and then travel, before doing post-grad. However, after a couple of months travel I got very seriously depressed, to the point of being admitted to hospital. Even after I was discharged, I was still very ill, and this took up the best part of a year. So in the year after leaving uni I have nothing to show for it, and now I playing online poker to get some together to travel. I don't think this sounds particularly good, and want to sugercoat it as effectively as possible.

I am planning to include something on my cv and/or application like

"After graduating, it was my intention to spend 1 year travelling, before resuming my academic career. After 2 months I fell very seriously ill for 10 months(further details and doctor's note available on request), and as such am using the 2005-06 academic year to pursue my travel interests. I am now fully recovered and able to cope with {insert university name}'s rigorous PhD program'

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too much information on the getting sick part. Just say you traveled. Period.