Thread: Matusow
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Matusow

[ QUOTE ]
Matusow is good for the game and is a great poker. Man I am so tired of this "nice guy" syndrome that we've got in america. Judge the guy on his talent, not his personality. No wonder corporate america sucks, we're not in high school anymore people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said anything about his talent. He's a great player, no question. So are Ivey, Brunson, Negraneau, Raymer, and a bunch of other great players who manage to be great without acting like total a-holes at the table.

I'd say the real syndrome in America is the idea that antisocial and obnoxious behavior is somehow "cool" and that douchebaggery equals entertainment. It's the same thing in sports. Act like an idiot = get on Sportscenter. Play the game with class = zero highlight reels and zero endorsements. Idiotic behavior is now rewarded in America. Humility is mocked as being "boring". That's why I'm such a big fan of Raymer. The guy probably had the best 2-year run in the history of the WSOP, and managed to be classy and humble while doing it.

A guy can be funny and entertaining without being a jerkoff to the other players (Layne Flack comes to mind). Matusow is really not very funny or witty, unless you just find someone acting obnoxious to be funny in and of itself. Personally I don't find screaming, "I've got big cajones!" at your opponent to be funny, or normal behavior for an adult - but I'm sure a lot of people do.