View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Lost in Translation review

I liked the ending. It was the only thing in the script that showed some thought. The rest of the script was almost non-existent. I've been to Tokyo and stayed at the Park Hyatt and the evocation of being in Tokyo, jet-lagged, unable to sleep, feeling strange in a strange place, was great. For about half an hour. Then nothing happpened. And then nothing happened again. The supposed sexual tension between the two protagonists didn't register with me because a) Murray said almost nothing the entire movie, which was a shame because I find him a very funny guy; and b) the female lead was, IMO, terrible, a boring actor.

But the big problem was the lack of a script. OK, I get it, they're both unhappy in their lives and in Tokyo. I don't need to see her looking out the window forty-six times.

But I liked the ending. Who knows what happens? Hard to believe Murray could have given her words of wisdom since he was hardly wise, just older than her. But it was a touch of something thought out carefully, rather than just the meandering of the rest of the movie.

Overall, I thought it was OK. FWIW, both my wife and sister-in-law loved it.