View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Personal finance and investment books to convert the unambitious

Inspired by the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" thread- a book I will be purchasing and will consider for my purpose: I'm looking for one book that I can give to my girlfriend to get her interested in and thinking of building wealth. We have been living together for almost two years, and I intend to marry her, but I worry that we have different views about the financial future. She is 23, graduated last year with a Sociology degree and after a brief and unsuccessful job search related to her degree she is contentedly working as a supervisor at a nice restaurant attached to a bookstore. She has long said that her dream is to own a coffee shop/restaurant, and has a ton of experience and skill in the area, but hasn't shown any immediate ambition to make it happen.

I'm 24, working to complete a slightly more employable sociology/economics degree and starting to feel way behind in terms of building net worth. The difference between us is one of ambition and information, she comes from good working-folk stock and is happy just to be paying her bills and student loans.

Is there a single book out there that I can give to her to read that will illustrate to her the value of building wealth early? RDPD seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for, and I'll give it a look upon arrival, but I'd really like to find the best book for the job.