View Single Post
Old 10-09-2003, 03:24 PM

Default Re: To go pro or not, and where?

but after playing 25 hours a week for 4 months, I got tired of that too...

a bad run lasted long enough to sap my will to play,

I've only ever been to Atlantic City

So perhaps I'd enjoy that for longer than the online stint.

If I did go pro, it would probably only be for a couple years,

I have what is by all standards a pretty good IT job

You have a good job. You have already experienced burnout playing less than fulltime. You have little B&M experience, but hope it will be different than online play. You don't even plan on being a pro for the rest of your life, so you will have to go back into the workforce, but not until your job skills are outdated and your resume has a big time gap in it.

I am biased- I have a job and play part-time, and don't have the stones/foolishness/skill to play for a living, but this seems like a no-brainer decision to me. Playing poker for a living will always be an option in the future, but by dropping from the workforce young, you severely foreclose your future working options, yet you still intend to (attempt to?) re-enter the workforce at a later time. You are foresaking a steady income stream to plunge into the unknown. Good luck if you give it a try, but you lose nothing by waiting, developing your poker skills, saving money, getting job experience, gowing emotionally and becoming more mature (not to say you are immature).

Just some musings.